Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Being a Christian at Christmas

I grew up never believing in Santa and I assumed I wouldn't start with my kids. I was wrong. My third child was bound and determined that Santa existed and I must admit it was a little fun to feed his imagination. So we have continued the tradition and I'm perfectly fine with it.
Yes, I know some people think that you shouldn't because it's "lying to your kid" or "giving them the wrong impression of what Christmas is all about." But I think if either of those reactions is the result of believing in Santa when they are small then I am not doing my job as a parent the rest of the year.
I know not every Christian parent is like me but I make it my job year-round to be sure that my kids understand that I am there for them and will tell them the truth. In fact, I guess some would say I take it to extremes because I choose to spend 15 hours a day with them (whether they like it or not) and we talk a LOT. I also live in a way that I'm confident that my kids know how I feel about Jesus and his birth. The saying goes "actions are louder than words" and it is true when it comes to children. Seriously, they are watching and learn from you all year. So far I have not seen that this one little Christmas tradition has ruined the foundation I have laid the 9 other months of a year. I think we have to be careful when we decide something for our families that we don't project our own baggage onto others. I do not think believing i
n Santa is wrong if the biblical foundation is there and let's face it Santa is a fleeting belief. By the time my kids are about 8-9 they are realizing that the idea of Santa is far-fetched. So while I did not set out to teach my kids about Santa, it has happened. I don't need or want a lecture about it. I want you to trust that I have my children's best interests, both spiritually and physically, at heart and to be honest Santa can be a tool for communication about other things if you are crafty and think outside the box. 

No comments:

Post a Comment